Sunday, October 16, 2011

Downsize the kitchen

Well, it's time again to post my promise of downsizing the kitchen. Even though I said goodbye to the bigh fridge, full range, and dishwasher, I've found that my RV fridge holds enough food for 5 or more days depending on what and how much I make. The range was replaced by a 2 burner cook top inside and a 2 bigger burner cook stove outside. The oven is a good size toaster oven with convection and rotisserie and can bake a 12 inch pizza. The dishwasher of course is now Glenda and I. Not too shabby, and it only takes about 15 minutes to wash, dry, and put away. My mixer is a handheld combination with several different attachments including bread hooks. I also have an immersion blender with a food processor attachment. For convenience while using shore power these items are great and I also have a small crock pot and a temp control hot plate. Last but not least I kept and brought an electric skillet. That's my appliances and they have been in much use. When picking out your hand tools for the kitchen I have a couple of spatulas, a few whisks, serving and stirring spoons including slotted and solid. A peeler is a good item as well as a good set of chefs knives of different sizes. With the case that the knives came in I screw the case to the inside door of my storage area under the cooktop. It's a great place and takes up little room for keeping that space open for a few small and medium pots and a couple of skillets and silicon bakeware that can be rolled up for more space saving. The bakeware will work up to 400 deg F. One pot that I also brought was a pressure cooker for High altitude cooking. I'm presently above 7200 ft and beans and rice need the pressure to cook, otherwisw you'll be 2 days cooking beans and at least 8 hrs cooking rice. Dinner set for 4 is great for us and then of course we mustn't forget the all most important coffee maker also make great tea and hot cocoa(marshmallows are a great option). I do have a mandolin and a couple of mini graters that have been used often and then we also have to invaluable can opener and a few sieves for straing or steaming. A rolling pin is actual an unopened can of soup for bisquits or pie shell. Then a few odds and ends for whatever. What I have is basically here with mutipurpose items that can double for any given task. I've even got a mallt for crushing, breaking, and tenderizing. Oh, a 2 cup measuring cup or tube is also needed. So, have fun, you won't miss the big high energy items once you get used to these smaller things and it won't take long. Cya next week for more downsizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment